Director- Sean McNamara
Written by- Sean McNamara, Deborah and Douglas Scwartz, Michael Berk, and based on the book by Bethany Hamilton.
Top Billed Cast- AnnaSophia Robb, Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt, and Carrie Underwood.
Bethany Hamilton is a teen surfing sensation! She's won the regionals and is preparing for nationals when her life changes forever. While out training with her best friend and her father, a shark attacks. The movie chronicles her journey back to the top.
* I couldn't decide if I liked the chemistry between Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid or not..I mean, it was kind of awkward but kind of cute? I suppose that's a pro.
* They did a scene of night surfing and they had all of them wear the glow-sticks....that was a neat concept
* I looooved the water shots! They really utilized the underwater cams (or had extremely good CGI..)
* Speaking of CGI....good work on the arm!
* I had noted that I disliked the use of the dog at first..but then I found out that it was played by Bethany Hamilton's own dog..so I put this as a pro instead.
* Before I go an further..I have to ask: Why...why...WHY did they cast Carrie Underwood in this movie? I could tell that she was trying. I really could. But I just didn't get it.
* A lot of the shots were just too quick to process. One millisecond is not enough time to form an opinion.
* The script. I mean, I wasn't expecting anything amazing but there seemed to be a lot of in-between-time. A lot of time between expressed thoughts. Or something..I'm not really sure, it just wasn't that great.
* There were a LOT of unnecessary build-ups to un-climactic events. We don't need a major orchestra swell every scene.
* The shark...oh the shark. Jaws didn't die. Sorry to inform you.
* I did see the "ghost arm" once..barely there but..def there.
* Some awkward transitions such as from shooting a shark to shooting a picture. Just not ok.
* Lots of product placement. This actually made me laugh in the theater. I know, you do what you gotta do :)
* They had an *amazing* translator. She was practically IN the Thai lady's HEAD.
* I understand that this is an inspirational true story and that Bethany Hamilton credits God for her amazing recovery and all that she's able to do, but, I really hate church scenes in movies. It always feels sooooo contrived. I just can't even focus on the real point of the scene because I'm so distracted by these actors pretending to worship. They could really believe what they're saying, I don't know..I hope they do!
* I hate to put this here because I know it's practically impossible to do a water movie without them but..nose bubbles. Never attractive.
This movie is rated PG. There's blood but nothing major. The biggest thing you'll have to discuss is the loss of a limb and how that does and doesn't change a person. Viewer beware..
Overall, I didn't flat out hate this movie but I also wasn't expecting all that much. I was surprised at how great the shots were and the surfing was awesome. I think that it was better than I expected. 2.5/5 stars.