Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hanna

Hanna
Director- Joe Wright
Written By- Seth Lochhead & David Farr
Top-Billed Cast- Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, & Cate Blanchett

Eric Bana and Saoirse Ronan are father and daughter living in the wilds of...well, I'm not really sure where they are. But, it's cold. Very cold. And Eric..Erik is training Saoirse...Hanna, to fight. Not only fight, but to kill. Teaching her everything he knows about how to survive and also all that he knows about how to make sure Cate...Marissa, does not.

I didn't take too many notes for this movie. Not because I didn't want to..but because I couldn't type and keep track of the movie at the same time.

Pros:

* Superb sound mixing. Might not sound like a big deal but man, when it's done right..it's a very big deal.

* Very quick open, which I liked.

* The use of the accents in this movie was really awesome. Hanna's changes in hers were particularly distinct.

* The pace and scale of this film was really great

* I loved how you could see Hanna experiencing these things for the first time..and I actually believed it.

Cons:

* I'm putting this in here not for the average reader..but for those that were paying attention during the movie. Poor poor Vincent. Hopefully he lived a better life than Trudy.

* When they went to pick up Hanna..she sees the very bright helicopter light yet these people are dressed in extreme camo? I saw no point in that.

* You'd think that living in isolation for so long would make father and daughter remarkably close..this was not the case.

* I really hated the house of Grimm. But more because it creeped me out than because it was badly done.

* I was a tad thrown by the fact that Hanna claims to have not experienced music. I could understand having no records or the like...but she implies that they've never sung or done anything.

* I was a tad insulted by the end but am kind of excited at the prospect of a Hanna: 2 (doubt this will actually happen).

Now Mother..

This movie is rated PG-13 and is very violent. There is implied sexuality and quite a bit of gore. Viewer beware..

In the end, I liked the movie. I wish I had taken more notes so I would be able to further explain why I liked it..but I didn't. 4/5 stars.

Sooooo it seems that Hanna is the winner here! It was close though. I really enjoyed the process of watching all of these movies..and while they weren't Oscar contenders (most likely..), they were entertaining and that's the whole point!

No comments:

Post a Comment